Friday, October 06, 2006

Furry Love

I want a puppy! But I can't have a puppy. I'm too busy. But I want one.

Having grown up with a constantly evolving array of pets - two dogs (Pollywog - a german shepard-bull dog mix, and Daisy - a jack russell terrier), two turtles (Rocky - named after Rock Hudson, and Lizzy - named after Elizabeth Taylor), countless parrots and fishes - I still desire the furry, fuzzy love of an animal companion. There is nothing...NOTHING...more heart warming than having a puppy waggle over, plop themselves right next to you on the couch, prop their head on your lap, release a long sigh, give you one of those "I love you mama" looks, and then proceed to fall asleep on your lap. Or to be woken up by a fuzzy dog tongue lapping at your face, trying to convince you that you really do want to get out of bed at 6 in the morning on a Sunday to go out and play with them. And when you don't they relent for about 10 minutes and then try again. Puppies! (and by puppies I mean dogs of any age)

A kitty would seem like such a perfect compromise. You still get all the furry love but without the whole walking, constantly being home thing.

Alas, I'm deathly allergic to kitties. Epi-pens and anaphylactic shock are not fun.

But it seems that a company out west may have found a solution...and it only costs $4000.

I first read about Allerca and their hypo-allergenic kittens about two years ago. At that time they were targeting a per cat cost of $10,000. Glad to see things have come down a bit.

The NY Times is running an interesting article about the soon to be launched kitties. I can definately sympathize with some of the people quoted in the article.

It's a good thing I don't love cats as much as I love dogs. I might be $4000 poorly if that were the case.

No comments: