Sunday, September 10, 2006

WTC

Today I went for a bike ride and ended up riding right past the site of the WTC. This time five years ago I was having a restless night of sleep and woke up around 2am and couldn't fall back asleep. That night, five years ago, I decided that rather then toss and turn I would go for a very late night run. Those that know me well know that I love late night runs. The more empty, quiet, and mist filled the night, the more I crave a good run. I call my late night runs 'Running in Solace'. They keep me sane.

That night, five years ago, I ran down a very familiar path. I ran along west Houston until I hit the yet unfinished West Side Esplanade (it's still not but it's come a long way.) From there I turned south and ran along the Hudson heading towards the WTC and Battery Park. In total the run is approximately 5 miles and it usually takes me about 45 minutes to complete. That night I stopped at that point in the route when I reached Stuyvesant High School, my alma mater. I walked for about 15 minutes. I wasn't tired or out of breathe. I just wanted to enjoy the complete solitude. I was alone and the night was completely mine to live in. A rare gift in New York. It was probably 2:45am by this point. I walked from Stuyvesant to the towers of the WTC. I remember savoring the sheer minimilistic beauty of the buildings. The WTC towers were never traditionally beautiful. Upclose they appeared quite anemic. It was the sheer grandeur and unabashed presence of those structures that made a person realize that beauty is not defined by the eyes or brain but by the heart and spirit. I continued my run soon after passing the WTC towers and was home, showered and in bed by 3:30am.

No comments: