Monday, June 27, 2005

CSA Week 2 Roundup

This weeks CSA bounty included:

1 bunch of red lettuce
1 bunch of green lettuce
1/2 lb of kale
1/2 lb of swiss chard
1/2 lb of bitter greens
5 garlic scapes
1 yellow summer squash

This bounty was thusly transformed:

The lettuces are being eaten as wonderful salads. I have enough greenery for 4 HUGE salads.
The kale was cooked down with some stock, garlic, and lemon zest. It was all finished off with a little olive oil to balance out the flavors. Yum. Kale is one of my most favorite leafy greens. Some of the cooked kale made its way into a tasty egg white omlete.
The swiss chard and bitter greens were steamed down, then mixed with a little garlic, scallions, seasame seed oil, seasame seeds, and a touch of fish sauce. This recipe is an ode to my korean side. Quite yummy when eaten with some brown rice and kimchee.
The garlic scape were steamed and eaten straight away. I've never had garlic scape before but I'm a convert. It is garlicy, aromatic, and delicious. I'll have to make some for a dinner party sometime in the near future.
The squash was thinly sliced, marinated in a little aged balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper and then broiled. Ideally I would have grilled the squash (nothing is better than grilled squash) but I lack both a grill and a backyard. Yellow summer squash is up there with kale on my list of favorites.

This week was quite the treat!

This is turning out to be one of the best things I've done this year!

No comments: