Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Veggie Stew

Food manufacturers really need to start making single people size packages of food staples.

Sunday night was cooking night for me. I made some hummus and a big pot of veggie stew. I had most of the staples in my house for the hummus - chickpeas, garlic, olive oil, roasted green onions, salt, pepper, lemon - but no tahini. I went to the grocery store to pick some up. The only size they had was a 16oz tin. All I really needed was 3 or 4 tablespoons of tahini, not 16oz. I went to another grocery store hoping they would have a slightly smaller container - no luck. After visiting a total of 4 grocery stores I finally gave up and purchased the 16oz. tin. What exactly am I supposed to do with the extra 15 ozs of tahini? I made some salad dressing last night in a desperate attempt to use a bit more of the sauce but I'm still left with 13 ozs of the stuff (give or take.)

The veggie stew turned out marvelous. I was trying to use up most of my veggies from my weekly CSA run. Last week I got 8 lbs (!!!!) of squash. Needless to say my veggie stew had squash. It also had eggplant, green peppers, new potatoes, carrots, garlic snape, spring onions, and peas - all organic! I also added a little tofu for protein and some white wine for flavor. It was all thickened with a little butter. Yummy! The only problem I have now is that I have enough veggie stew to feed a very large family...for a week!

No comments: