Sunday, July 17, 2005

Too much jam!

I know I said I'd skip a week in my jam making...but it's so much fun. And the blueberries at the farmer's market were so beautiful and inexpensive - 4 pints for $10. So I bought the blueberries, a few lemons...and tada...lemon-blueberry-apricot jam. I know what you're thinking. Where exactly do the apricots come into play? Well, I got a whole bunch in my CSA this past week...more than I wanted to eat...and there you go.

I think I'm getting much better at this too. I made jam in just under 1.5 weeks. My first batch took me over 3 hours. And I think I used just the right amount of pectin. The consistency is nice and jammy.

Oh, and did I mention that it's quite tasty!

Now, I really need to host a brunch. I have absolutely no idea how I'm gonna get through 10 jars of jam. I suppose I could make some jam drop cookies.

If I keep making jam at this rate, jam may become my birthday, anniversary, special-day gift of choice. I'm warning you right now. And it doesn't end once summer ends. Autumn is apple, pear, and cranberry season...and late autumn brings us citrus. Cranberry-orange chutney anyone?

I've been reading some really interesting recipes that use various liquors - Chambord etc... Very interesting. I don't like alcohol but I love the flavor of alcohol in cooked foods. I wonder if can find a fig based jam that uses a nutty alcohol. Figs are awesome with walnuts and almonds.

No comments: