Sunday, February 13, 2005

Green Day and Storm King

I like Green Day. There, I said it. Don't hate me. I like Green Day. I know, as someone who spends 90% of her time listening to the likes of Bright Eyes, Kanye West, and Arcade Fire, I should know better. But I can't help but bop along to their infectious faux-punk. What can I say, the boys of Green Day know how to write a good hook.

On a completely unrelated topic, the installation of the Gates reminds me of Storm King Art Center in the Hudson Valley. Storm King is an open air art gallery with the mission of celebrating significant sculptures of scale within the context of nature. It's quite the experience. Imagine an open air gallery set over some 500+ acres of Hudson Valley and hill and green and stream...as you meander your way over grass and gravel and intoxicate your senses with the smell of tree and earth, you stumble across a 100 foot metal sculpter. A Cauldwell, perhaps. Or maybe Mark di Suvero's Pyramidian. First you see the singularity of the sculpture, its cold construction and foreign nature against the backdrop of lawn and woodland. Then slowly you notice the hill beyond and the trees to the right and all of a sudden the sculpture becomes apart of the landscape, an unexpected addition that adds a new harmony to the existing composition. It's inspiring. If you ever find yourself in the NYC area between April - Nov, try to make your way to Mountainville, NY to visit Storm King. You won't regret it. www.stormking.org Visit the website, at least, to see what you're missing.

No comments: